Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Planning for surgery

The oncologist put the brakes on because when the lymph nodes are involved, there could be other cancer nearby. Yep, more tests including a CT scan and a bone scan to see if it has traveled from somewhere else to the breast, or from the breast using the lymphatic system to spread. In the meantime an initial consult with the oncologist  and another with a plastic surgeon for reconstruction at the time the mastectomy is performed. So while I waited for appointment and test results, I was also planning for this now bigger procedure/surgery.
Good news, finally, that no other cancer/ suspicious spots found , so I can schedule the surgery, almost a month later. How could I help but wonder if while I wait the cancer could be spreading? Hoping not, and wanting time to pass, to get things moving. And at the same time trying to have as much "normal" as possible before that surgery date, while finalizing details to miss work, etc.
During that month I tried to exercise a Lot, to alleviate stress, and also to strengthen while I could some muscles that would soon be out of commission- I think we underestimate the overall value of exercise to clear our minds !

No comments:

Post a Comment