Monday, March 2, 2015

Insert Hug Here

 Today while I waited to have my cathetor placed/inserted in a vein near my heart in preparation for my chemotherapy. I had good conversation with the nurse who prepared me for the surgery, entered her "paperwork " , and brought me the wonderful warm blankets.  She was feeling impatient as there was a lab result lagging.  I reminded her to take a deep breath, cause everything would be alright. Some impatiently lIght venting and a call back from the lab that the results were available.
Off we went to the operating room. I felt a bit apprehensive about my expanders, but Not so much abou the port. A quick conversation about location and agreement  determined and I'm ready for a nap!   Huh, only a mild sedative?  Local anesthetic initiated, pressure applied, a deep breath to Hold, another pressure applied( like are ya trying to crack my chest) and  a plastic covering applied to the site.   All that action and I am awake having conversation that I was told I may not remember, super nice nurse that provided "happy place"  conversation about old bands and teenage icons.  All while taking care of me through the procedure. The operating room nurse shared a "preview" of  my reconstruction as she was also a member of the BCMR (breast cancer, mastectomy, reconstruction) survivor list. And on the way out of the operating room the  primary nurse was smiling and happy to report that she was back on schedule !  She wheeled me to a recovery spot to redress , with my caring husband there to greet me.
As I was leaving I just had to give her a hug!
I also took time to thank her for making this part of my journey pleasant.
Did someone make your day easier?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment