Friday, May 22, 2015

The Art of Conversation

What a great day for random conversations while I wait. So many times we sit in the waiting room with nothing to do, and we know that the other people also are not occupied, and often seem restless. Conversation can help the time pass quickly, alleviate stress, and improve our mood. Oh sometimes we see our fellow waiters entertaining themselves with a book or a phone, but I found many conversations today that I could join in on.

The first one was with two gentleman who were talking about insurance, copayments,  Medicare coverage, etc- well I like that topic, so I joined in with anything I had to share. After one man left for his treatment, I continued a bit more with the other, finding out about radiation copayments- handy information with my next step in this journey as radiation therapy. He and his wife come from Port Orchard for her treatment, but were able to do the radiation therapy in Gig Harbor.  I felt good that I had spent time getting to know something about a fellow struggler.

The next conversation topic I had was with a couple who come from Ocean Shores to treat. We spoke of it being a long unpredictable drive to Tacoma from there. Then I shared how much I enjoy visiting that town, and how it seems like a warm little community. He shared the news of a whale which was recently beached there, and also news of the jellyfish that came in swarms ending up beached and rotting( eww). We spoke of the wind and kite flying and he shared how nice it was when their kids and grand kids come to visit and how they like to build bonfires on the beach. I then heard the mans spirit lift as he recalled a beautiful day last February that brought many visitors to enjoy the unusually pleasant weather.    And then they called him for treatment. Later I had another chance to talk with this man, asking how long they had been living in OS. The instant comfort he must've felt then allowed us the share our personal stories with each other, and learned his diagnosis  was pancreatic cancer and had not been expected to live this long.   We talked about how we will try/ do whatever we can to increase our chances of survival, how there is new treatment available every day, and how we all must appreciate each day we have on earth, and how grateful we are for days when we feel great, like today! This man could be an inspiration to us all! I have found many cancer survivors who demonstrate a living example of amazing strength and determination. Most are very willing to share their stories in an effort to help someone else through their journey.

I realized today that sometimes random conversations are not only informative, but rewarding in ways we may not anticipate. So next time you are sitting in a waiting room with others, remember it is ok to strike up a conversation, because you may have information to share with the others in the room. We often have free time while we wait, and conversation is an art form that is most rewarding when practiced often.

No comments:

Post a Comment