Friday, June 12, 2015

Moving On


Today's treatment included a visit with my oncologist. We talked about my latest side effects, and then she let me know she was leaving Washington. Wah waH wah..... Our next visit would be our last. She is moving her family to Florida as the weather is more like her native, India.

 We then chatted a bit about warm weather areas around the country and our sometimes differing perspectives of each area. She spoke of her parents, and how they visit her family for extendedperiods which  moved us into some generational differences. As a late "boomer" I guessed her age in the 30s. She agreed and we talked about how my age people stay more often in the same place, job, etc. my observation was that people of her generation want to be moving at least every 5 years and get restless. She had not realized that it was noticeable, yet agreed, adding that she and especially her husband are always wanting more. She explained that in Washington they felt they "have it all", but wait, they didn't have sunshine year round! Hence the move to Florida, where it may feel more like home for her parents when they come to visit. Well, our time was up, of course I invited myself to a future visit ;-)  I mean why wouldn't she want a former patient to visit her and become a part of her circle of wealthy doctor folks, right? We all enjoy making connections and hope that she just might think of that one patient who she helped through cancer treatments, and someday remember that she made a difference by taking a few minutes to chat.

I hope you have an opportunity to chat with somebody soon. We all can make a difference with a funny story, or share some knowledge, or just to listen to a fellow human being. We are on this earth together so let's make all if our lives richer before one of us moves on.

No comments:

Post a Comment