Monday, September 14, 2015

Port Removal celebration

 After I was diagnised, after my surgery, before the chemo, I had a big button placed under the skin with tube into the veins- port placement. Now most people get this placed discretely out of sight and it doesn't  bother their routine much and one gets used to having it. I was an exceptiion, and needed mine place higher on the chest, right about where the seat belt lays across your chest when you buckle up to drive.  I had gotten used to the irritation and dreamed of the day I could have it removed. Thankfully that day was today! (9/10)
Now I remember them telling me when they installed it that they put a little suture in to hold one part in place, and I relayed that tidbit during my surgery prep talk. I was told  they usually don't do that and probably what I felt  was just a part of the device. Luckily  when the expert un-installer man got tugging on the tubing, it dawned on him that there was a suture there and he clipped it, or whatever he did after tugging a few not so gentle times- gotta love an experienced man when it comes to things  like tugging,  especially when he kniw 's when to stop as I protest with a friendly hey Hey HEY!
I will say the area was well numbed and I didn't have to See any of the action,  so that was great, too. The procedure was quick and after icing and taking a pain pill, I can put another checkmark on my list of things to do with this dreaded disease. 
To all of you who may be going through similar unpleasantness, I say the best feeling is when it's over! Take good care of yourself and I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment